R.I.P. Notorious B.I.G - 16th Anniversary




The spotlight shines once again on Notorious B.I.G - 'Christopher Wallace' on the 16th anniversary of his death.  Friends and family of the late Biggie Smalls sharing memories and discussing their feelings towards his passing and legacy with a number of media outlets. The mother of his daughter, and T’yanna sat down for a radio interview on New York's Hot 97, last year for an ‘insightful’ interview.

More on Biggie inside, including my brief encounter with the hip-hop legend when I attended one of his performances in Toronto. Watch footage from the fallen hip hop icon's funeral which was attended by many of his friends, and also an  interview with his daughter.

I had a brief encounter with Biggie Smalls, when I attended a concert/showcase when he came to Toronto for a promotional visit in 1995, and he performed at a underground spot near Yonge Street and College. I remember the place was PACKED and was literally underground - had to go down a flight of stairs and the ceiling was mad low. I was a little worried about how to escape should something go WRONG!). Thankfully I knew the sound man 'Huggy' and held a spot with him and felt safe. B.I.G. walks through to enter the stage and steps on my foot, I was wearing Tim's so it was all good!  He only did a couple songs, because the crowd went NUTS!! They had to shut it down! Good times, good memories!


Footage from B.I.G funeral. Spotted leaving the funeral: SWV, Queen Latifah, Damon Dash, Jay-Z, Treach & Pepa and Q-Tip.....



Spotted leaving B.I.G. funeral: Busta Rhymes, Mase, 112, DJ Premier, Sista Souljah, Da Brat, Mary J. Blige, Lil Kim, Flava Flav, Lil Cease, Puff Daddy, also seen is B.I.G. casket being carried.






On March 9, 1997, Wallace was killed at the age of 24 by an unknown assailant in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles. His double-disc set Life After Death, was released 15 days later and reached #1 on the U.S. album charts and was certified Diamond in 2000 (one of the few hip hop albums to receive this certification). Wallace was noted for his "loose, easy flow", dark semi-autobiographical lyrics and storytelling abilities. R.I.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment